Welcome to year R
Our Reception team is....
Orange Class – Mrs. Phillips, Mrs. Morey and Mrs Terry
Purple Class - Mrs Lipscomb and Mrs Conway
Over the last term we have been getting to know each other and have settled into our new school and class routines.
We have worked together to perform the Christmas Story as part of our whole School Christmas concert at St James’s church.
Our new topic for this half term is:
Our ongoing topic is Weather.
We will also be watching a real Pantomime ‘Sleeping Beauty’ performed live in school by a well known Theatre Company.
We will be reading the following Traditional Tales to help us learn about story structure and language
- Gingerbread Man
- The Three Little Pigs
- The Three Billy Goats Gruff
We will join in with repeated phrases and anticipate key events in stories.
We will be able to segment the sounds in simple words and blend them together and know which letters represent some of them.
We will also focus on sentence structure and work on writing sentences.
Communication and Language
We will learn to:
- maintain attention, concentrate and sit quietly during appropriate activities.
- extend vocabulary by grouping and naming, exploring the meaning and sounds of new words. –
- listen and respond to ideas expressed by others in conversation or discussion.
- retell familiar stories using story maps.
We will learn to:
- count 1 to 10, then 10 to 20 objects and use correct numerals to represent them.
- estimate how many objects they can see and checks by counting them.
- find the total number of items in two groups by counting all of them.
- use formal methods for addition.
- measure length/height/weight using language long/short/tall heavy/light and the same.
- use mathematical names for ‘solid’ 3D shapes.
- be able to use familiar objects and common shapes to create and recreate patterns and build models.
Understanding the World
We will learn to:
- remember and talk about significant events in their own experience.
- Explore materials, objects and how things work.
- recognise that a range of technology is used in places such as homes and schools.
- Program a computer to follow commands.
- recognise changes in the weather and our outside environment.
Expressive Art and Design
- Make 3D models using media materials.
- Join construction pieces together to build and balance.
- Manipulate materials to achieve a planned effect.
- Use a range of painting programs on the computer.
- Use clay to create teddy bear faces.
- Use our observational skills to draw teddy bears.
- Paint our own trditinal tale characters.
Personal, Social and Emotional Development
- take steps to resolve conflicts with others.
- Speak confidently with others.
- Learn about own needs, wants, interests and opinions
- understand that own actions affect other people.
- Build self-confidence and awareness.
We will be:
- learning how to keep a safe space and carry and use equipment safely.
- Practising balance, agility and co-ordination during the’ Awards for Al’l program
- following the REAL PE program focusing on the development of agility, balance, coordination, healthy competition and cooperative learning.
- How to use and control small equipment with our hands, e.g. pencil control, cutting skills, using fixatives etc.
If you would like support your child’s learning at home then you could complete some of the activities suggested on the homework letter which will be sent home.
All work will be displayed in the classroom.